Province of Antique
Where the Mountains meet the sea. The Rising Star of Western Visayas
About San Remigio
Oral Tradition of veritable source mentions a settlement called “Tigbacay” in the protological narrative about this town. Located about a kilometer from rivulet from where it got its name, “Tigbacay” was founded by famous warrior and hunter named Juan Arangote. He and his family constituted the first settlers of this place. The passage of time saw the influx of other settlers and the transportation of the place into the village. In 1797, Tigbacay was politically established as a barrio and consequently appeared in the map as part of the Municipality of Sibalom. It adopted San Vicente de Ferrer as its patron saint.
On July 1, 1864, Tigbacay was elevated to a municipality and was given the name San Remigio after a Spanish Officer Remigio Multo. The village, now town, was divided into two barrios called Baladjay and Vilvar in honor of Agustin Baladjay and Basilio Vilvar who worked for the separation of the town of Sibalom.
Located on the alluvial valley of big Sibalom River, the young Municipality waged a long and losing battle against the relentless onslaught of this merciless river whose seasonal encroachments almost always brought grave destruction to infrastructures and private property. Thus, the move to transfer the site of the Poblacion was initiated. The various resolutions adopted by the Municipal Council recommending the transfer of the town site were officially approved by Hon. Francis Burton Harrison, Governor General of the Philippines, Through Executive Order No. 74, series of 1919, thus, on October 13, 1931, the township was transferred to Calag-itan, its present site. The former site, officially the barrios of Baladjay and Vilvar, are now referred to as the “Old Town”.
The municipality of San Remigio is a landlocked municipality located at 10°47ˈ24ˮN to 11°0ˈ36ˮN latitude and 121°52ˈ48ˮE to 122°19ˈ30ˮE longitude. And is about 21 kilometres (13) mi north-east from the provincial capital, San Jose de Buenavista. San Remigio is composed of 45 barangays, 154 Sitios 70 % of which are upland barangays or situated in the mountain area. It is bounded on the north by the municipality of Valderrama, on the west by the municipality of Patnongon, Sibalom, on the south and Province of Iloilo on the east.
Time Zone : PST (UTC+8)
ZIP Code : 5714
IDD area code : +63 (0) 36 – 6529888
Climate Type : Dry Season and Rainy or Wet Season
Website : https://sanremigioantique.com
- Pula Waterfalls– has a red-tinted cascade
- Igbaclag Cave and Stone Castle– also home to the rafflesia; located at Barangay Aningalan
- Bato Cueva
- Magpungay Cave
- Kanyugan Cave
- Timbaban Falls
- Batuan Falls
- Maylumboy Lake
- Danao Lake
- Mount Igtulahong– located at Barangay Tubudan; houses the famous rafflesia
- Rafflesia– the biggest flower in the world with 2 of its varieties found in the town
- Barangay Aningalan– deemed as “Little Baguio” or the “Vegetable Basket of Antique”
- Aningalan Highland Strawberry Garden– a picturesque, privately owned resort that offers strawberry picking during the cold months (November to February)
- Banwang Daan– the Shrine of St. Vincent Ferrer of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente (Aglipayan Christian denomination) located at Barangay Baladjay; worth-noting is that the original statue was said to be miraculous; hence, daily masses are offered starting on the 1st of April until the last Sunday of the same month which, in turn, is known to be the feast day of the said saint
- Fullon Rice Terraces– also known as the Hidden Rice Terraces; located at Barangay General Fullon
- Padlusan Adventure Park