January 17, 2021

This came after the tripartite meeting of Sec. Carlito Galvez, the vaccine suppliers and all Region VI governors with Iloilo City Mayor Jerry Trenas, today, January 17, 2021 at Iloilo City Hall.Seven companies will be providing vaccine to the Philippines, of these, the Beijing-based biopharmaceutical company, Sinovac, will be the first to deliver this February.Those who will avail the first doses of the vaccine will be the medical frontliners, from both public and private.Gov. Cadiao said that the national government will be providing vaccines to 70% of population of every province. She further that this will translate to about 350,000 Antiquenos, the remaining 30% will be shouldered by the local government.Gov. Cadiao added that the province will be making a confidential purchase through the DOH. According to her, LGUs cannot purchase the vaccine directly from the supplier.”It has to be through the DOH,” she said.Furthermore, she said that the province already sent a letter of intent to AstraZeneca for the procurement of 50 million pesos worth of vaccine. In addition, she said that she already told Provincial Accountant Minnie Julian to prepare another 50 million pesos for the same purpose, when necessity requires.Moreover, Gov. Cadiao said that other governors in the region also manifested to procure vaccines from AstraZeneca and Novavax. The latter will be Indian-made. Both of these, however, will be available in the second or third quarter this year.On the other hand, she bared that vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna will be for the highly urbanized cities, as they need to be stored in very low temperatures, minus 70 degrees Celsius for Pfizer and minus 20 degrees Celsius for Moderna, while others can be stored and transported at normal refrigerated temperatures, such as 2 degrees to 8 degrees Celsius for AstraZeneca.